Greenwich Pen Women, a branch of the National League of American Pen Women, is a non-profit organization of women artists, writers, and musicians. We offer mutual support and exchange of ideas to encourage and inspire excellence in original creative work.
Photo by GPW, Doris Mady
"It must be October, the trees are falling away and showing their true colors."
~Charmaine J. Forde
Note from our President:
Dear Pen Women,
Greetings as the first bright colors of fall are beginning to show in the trees, giving us hope that the very hot days and the hurricane season will soon be over! With all the temperature and weather adventures we’ve been having this year, I’m happy to report that no GPW member reported any extensive damage to her dwelling during the severe flooding following Hurricane Ida.
Your GPW Board met on Monday night, 9/13. Some of the highlights:
- The Art Discipline has sponsored GPW self-guided tours of the Kusama Exhibit at the New York Botanical Garden, which will have taken place on 9/22 by the time these notes are published. We look forward to hearing how many members attended and how it went.
- The Letters Discipline has scheduled a Zoom GPW professional education meeting for all members on Wednesday, October 13th, from 11 AM to 12:30 PM, a talk by Roberta Seret, Ph.D., writer and member of GPW, who recently published her Transylvanian trilogy with a small press. See https://transylvaniantrilogy.com/. She will share the problems she encountered, how she incorporated her research into her stories, as well as the extra efforts she had to make to publish and advertise her books, including PR and marketing. The last half hour will be saved for questions from our viewers. Watch for the notice of this event, as an RSVP will be required in order for you and/or a guest to receive the link.
- We have 2 other possibilities for November’s programs - a program by the Music Discipline, which will be open to guests and another Open Mic collaboration with one of the libraries.
- A reservation has been made for our Annual Holiday Luncheon at a local club for December 2, the only date available, but other possibilities are being examined. We can’t predict what the situation with COVID will be some 2 and ½ months in advance, so we will keep you posted!
Since the Board Meeting, these things have also been in the works:
- Our next Poetry Group Meeting will be on Zoom, Wednesday, October 6th. Members, stay tuned for details about a special “jam” session to be planned with Adrienne Reedy! Please prepare fall themed poems.
- New Pop-Up Creative Conversations are being planned for possibly October or November for all members – look for an invitation!
The Expressions Gallery
As you are no doubt aware, the Expressions Gallery now has a tab on the left side of our Home Page, which takes you directly to the Gallery, instead of having to scroll down through Member News (which you don’t want to miss, by the way!). October’s theme is “What Makes Me Happy” and November’s theme will be: “What I am Most Proud Of”.
Member’s Holiday Bazaar
Our popular online Members’ Holiday Bazaar is now postings submissions… much earlier this year…so that the Bazaar is available to members for a longer period of time. We hope that many of you are preparing to post your original creations with us!
Please stay well and safe as we begin to carefully meet and mingle out there in the COVID world.
GPW President Lee Paine